Annual General Meeting March 2017
The Annual General Meeting took place on Sunday 26th March 2017 at the Maldron Hotel at noon.
PRESENT were Michael Loughran(President), John Hendy, Eleanor Hendy, Raymond Megaw, Olene Megaw, Matthew Byrne, Timothy Keane, William Cuddy, James Stinson, Eamon Dunne, Martin Fleming, John O’Neill (C), Robert Clarke, Michael Harris, John O’Neill (D), Vincent Kelly, Robert Clarke, Don Hubbard, Peter Duffy, John Brady, Bernard Duffy, Paul Murphy, John Vahey, Tim Crowley, Lorraine Dunne, Colt Dunne Kelly, Michael Jones, Marie Jones, Thomas Conor, Michael Rigney,
APOLOGIES from Thomas Stinson, Rita Loughran, Fr. Pat O’Donovan, David Cuddy, Austen Bromley, Gill Vahey, Mike & Sonja Rollinson, Jim Boland, Joe Crann, Benny O’Gorman, Joe Crann, Clive Evans, David Hore, Marcus Molloy.
NOTICE CONVENING THE MEETING was circulated in advance by at least 21 days to all members together with a short form edition of the financial statements for the year ended 31st December 2016.
TP BRADY OBITUARY 15th August 2016. The Secretary noted the death of TP, a long standing member who died last summer and whose obituary was published in the autumn edition of our newsletter. The meeting passed a vote of sympathy and condolences to his widow, daughter and sons.
SECRETARY’S REPORT was read out by W. Cuddy. The year 2016 was another active one for our Club. We
- increased our membership by 21 persons,
- kept our web page up to date and
- published our bi-monthly newsletter in the Spring and Autumn of 2016.
He paid tribute to our President Michael Loughran for his leadership, who this year completes his second year in office. He leaves his position in the secure knowledge that our club is safe, strong and secure.
He thanked the organisers for their input namely:
- In March John O’Neill organised the AXA – IVVCC Classic Car Show. We had a technical display of an engine, transmission and related items, a Brass Tourer, a Black Tourer and a 7 Cwt Delivery Van.
- In April David & Marian Cuddy brought us to the Great Stone Circle of Grange, Lough Gurr Heritage Park and lunch at Old Bakehouse restaurant in Bruff.
- In May Tim Crowley invited us to another preview of his eternal project, brought us on the Dromina Drive and had lunch in Lismore Hotel. We were joined for the day by David and Kate from Australia.
- In June John O’Neill’s run started off in Kinsale, the start point for the Wild Atlantic Way, a visit to Ireland’s first Signal Tower where we got a demonstration of the Flag & Ball signal system and visited the site of the ill fated Lusitania that sank on 7th May 1915 with the loss of 1,198 Souls. Lunch at Jim Edwards.
- Also in June our annual rally was under the baton of Raymond & Olene Megaw. Based at Ballycastle, County Antrim, we visited Old Bushmills Distillery, Dark Hedges – a unique roadside linear plantation of beech trees, a hurley manufacturer, a museum of horse drawn vehicles, the Giants Causeway and Ballintoy Harbour. Have a look at the Souvenir Programme Ballycastle 2016. Mixed into this bag were stops for refreshments, lunch and ice cream palour visits.
- In July John Hendy & Paul Murphy where our static show attracted many visitors.
- Michael Rigney displayed his 1906 Model N and got the best in show prize.
- Most of the cars paraded in the show ring alongside the Steam Traction engines. For a modest €5 our catering corps swung into action and fed the multitudes.
- In September Sean McEvoy organised the autumn run, lunch at Gandon Inn, then on to the Green family at Cranford House, Vicarstown where we were invited to admire and examine a huge collection of David Browne Tractors and paraphernalia.
- In October many of us attended the Brass Brigade in Dungarvan with grateful thanks to IVVCC and Shane Houlihan.
The Club appreciates the continuing efforts of Lorraine Dunne in managing club clothing, introducing new lines and keeping the stock and sales records in order.
TREASURER’S REPORT was read out by Timothy Keane. In 2016 we reported a modest surplus leaving our cash reserves standing at €8,000 which figure is necessary to maintain adequate working capital should we embark on another international event in the next year or so. Our Club is happy to operate at break-even or a small surplus thus giving Members excellent value for money. He asked all to make a special effort to pay their annual subscriptions sooner rather than later.
For the future, all outbound mail from our club will include a statement of account for the relevant year and where a member’s subscription lapses, we will withdraw mail circulation. At €10, our annual subscription works, provided we all chip in on time as we should do.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT was then presented by Michael Loughran. He and Rita have enjoyed their second year as President. Members made them feel very welcome at all times. He thanked everyone for their support. As he leaves office, he said our club is in good standing with adequate fiscal reserves, membership and active committees.
Michael was presented with a hand turned Irish beech bowl as a souvenir on behalf of the Club, by immediate past president Michael Rigney; our way of saying “thank you”.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS then took place…
President – Raymond Megaw
Honorary Treasurer – Timothy Keane
Honorary Secretary – William Cuddy
Chairman – Vincent Kelly
COMMITTEE MEMBERS – David Cuddy, Tim Crowley, Robert Clarke, Thomas Connor, Marcus Molloy, Peter Duffy, Bernard Duffy, John Hendy, Paul Murphy, George Fulton, Sean McEvoy and Lorraine Dunne.
ANNUAL RALLY – It was noted that the 28th annual rally 2016 will take place at Westport, County Mayo organized by Thomas Conor and Marcus Molloy. The 29th annual rally will be based in Killarney, County Kerry and will be put in place by Matthew Byrne and Timothy Keane.
The 30th annual rally will be based at Enniskillen, County Fermanagh courtesy of George Fulton.
CLUB CLOTHING – Vincent Kelly reported that Lorraine Dunne has a full array of clothing for Members which is on offer at cost. It would be appreciated if members would email their stock orders prior to our events where items may be picked up.
Everyone will understand the new family commitments of two toddlers. Members again expressed their appreciation of Lorraine’s efforts.
WESTPORT 2017 – Thomas Connor addressed the AGM.
Plans are afoot to host the 28th annual rally at Westport. The Wild Atlantic Way, now a world class coastal drive, it on hand for us to experience for the duration of our stay. Those with a little extra time should take time off to explore the Mayo countryside and help is on hand to provide routes to suit whatever taste. Our rally base is at Westport Hotel where a good value deal has been negotiated. Our banquet takes place on Saturday evening. Every effort has been put in to make sure that we have a safe and enjoyable experience in County Mayo in July.
CALL FOR NEW EVENTS – This year and next, there is a call out to members to relieve some of our existing long standing organisers. We are asking members to volunteer their services and put on a day or week end run in their own locality. Interested members to get in touch with the Secretary where communication and awareness support will be forthcoming.
EVENTS 2016 – The meeting firmed up on the following
Adare Spring Run on 23th April 2017- David & Marian
Punchestown on 14th May 2017 – Bernadette Weir IVVCC
West Waterford Run on 21st May 2017 – Tim & Elizabeth
West Cork run at Bandon on 18th June 2017 – Robert & Mary
28th Annual Rally in Westport on 15th/16th July 2017 – Thomas & Marcus
Stradbally Steam Static Show on 6th August 2017 – John & Paul
Kildare run 20th August 2017 – Bernard & Peter
Autumn Rally 17th September – Sean McEvoy
Ford event at Dublin Port on 23rd September 2017
Brass Brigade on 15th/16th October 2016 – IVVCC – Shane Houlihan
NEW MEMBERS – The meeting extended greetings and welcome to 21 new members who joined in 2016. Of these one is from France, two from United Kingdom and two from Northern Ireland. The new members are John & Gillian Drew, Leonard & Enda Bone, Paul Noctor, Chris Bluer, John Eagers, Paul Keenan, Mark Richardson, John & Mary Hayes, Pat & Anna Morgan, Denis Brennan, Michael Nolan, Cairns & Anne Fulton, Michael Druhan, David White, Colt Dunne Kelly, David Wraight, PJ Caulfield, George Fulton, Noel Pearson, Don Hubbard and Keith Bryan. The President expressed his wish to see as many of these new members partaking in Club affairs where they will surely be received graciously.
HONORARY MEMBERS – The outgoing Chairman asked members to consider and if thought fit, pay special tribute to persons of long standing associated with the ubiquitous Model T Ford and our Club, these being…
- Joe Crann
- Timothy Keane
- Matthew Byrne
- William Clay Ford Jnr., Chairman Ford Motor Company
On behalf of our members each recipient was presented with an Irish native beech hand turned bowl as a memento of the occasion.
There being NO FURTHER BUSINESS the meeting then ended.